Search This Blog

maandag 13 augustus 2012

Gary Barlow: 'Last year's X Factor contestants were cocky and lazy'

Gary Barlow has admitted that last year's X Factor contestants quickly became complacent.

In an interview with the Daily Mail's Weekend magazine, the Take That star revealed that he was surprised at how arrogant some of the hopefuls became.

"One of the biggest shocks for me last year was how quickly people become lazy once they get into this competition," he said.

"I found myself thinking, 'Hold on, this is just the start. You haven't made it yet. Even if you win it is just the start.'"

The 'Patience' singer mentored the boys category last year, which included controversial contestant Frankie Cocozza. The then 18-year-old - who was eventually disqualified from the competition - was frequently criticised for his weak performances and off-stage attitude.

"It is weird," Barlow said. "You take people off the street and put them in this bubble and they start to act like they have arrived.

"You can see them thinking, 'I was born to do this, I don't have to work at it'."

The singer told The Sun that the quality of the auditions has improved since the last series.

"The standard has definitely gone up a few notches. I think the audience is going to love it," he said.

Barlow was also quick to praise new judge Nicole Scherzinger, saying: "We're really pleased to have Nicole on the panel with us. She's amazing. She really feels like a Hollywood star.

"She got the job because she clicked... With all her experience in the industry and as a judge on the US X Factor, she has definitely earned her place.

"I think she'll be quite good with the contestants. She's quite emotional, maternal almost. To be honest, I think you could have the same four judges every year [as] I think it's more about the contestants. If they're no good, no-one will watch."

Barlow is said to be performing at this evening's Olympics closing ceremony, despite announcing the tragic loss of his daughter Poppy last week. The new series of The X Factor will begin on August 18.


Big Brother's Ashleigh Hughes: "If they boo me, they boo me"

Ashleigh Hughes told Brian Dowling tonight (August 10) that her and Luke Scrase's relationship was for real.

The Essex girl was speaking after leaving the house with Scott Mason in a double eviction.

Asked by Dowling what she thought about the boos which greeted her exit - contrasting with the cheers that Scott Mason had received from the crowd - Ashleigh said that she had been herself, and concluded: "If they boo me, they boo me; if they love me, they love me."

Commenting on her turbulent relationship with Deana Uppal, she admitted that there had been "complications", but said that the Miss India UK had "a good heart" and was just not the evictee's "cup of tea".

Ashleigh was also not bitter when shown who had nominated her, commenting: "I do get all of [the reasons given by the housemates]."

The notorious potty-mouth only swore once in the interview, saying, "Oh, for f**k's sake", when the phrase "Lushleigh" was put to her.

She went on to insist that her relationship with Luke S had been a romance rather than a 'showmance', and dismissed her initial attraction to Conor McIntyre, explaining that she now saw him as a "brother".

The ex-contestant seemed a little bothered when shown footage of Luke S saying their relationship might not last in the outside world, and confessed that it "maybe" made her question the romance, but she then immediately played it down, adding: "Whatever."

She finished by saying that she wanted Luke S or Sara McLean to win on Monday's (August 13) final.


'MasterChef's Gregg Wallace: 'I'm scared of relationships'

Gregg Wallace has revealed that he doesn't want to find love after his third marriage came to an end.

The MasterChef star explained that he has been "put off" by relationships, and that he definitely does not want to get married for a fourth time.

The 47-year-old broke up with wife Heidi in March after just over a year as a married couple.

"I couldn't marry again. No. I'm not even sure I could do a full-time girlfriend," he told The Sun.

"I've been put off romance a little bit. I'm now scared of relationships. I just don't want to fall in love with anyone. I just don't.

"I don't need a relationship. I have this great support network in Whitstable where I live. I've got my housekeeper and nanny, my PA and the home economist who helps me with all my recipes. All these three women are mates.

"They live near me and everything in my life is taken care of. I'm good at business but I'm not good with wives and girlfriends."

Wallace's ex-wife Heidi had continued as his PA after the split, and also looked after his two children. However, he explained that the break-up eventually made the arrangement difficult.

"She's moved out. I couldn't do it. It was constantly upsetting me," he said.

"We went to counselling but it just didn't work. We could have made it work if we had gone six months earlier but too much had gone on by then. I miss her. I was madly in love with her. The kids see her regularly."

Wallace added that his former partner does not want any money from their impending divorce.

He said: "Heidi doesn't want a thing. All those people suggesting Heidi was a gold-digger - it's so far from the truth."

Wallace will return with John Torode for a seventh series of Celebrity MasterChef tomorrow (August 13) at 6.30pm on BBC Two.


Joe McElderry on 'X Factor' snub: 'I don't care'

Joe McElderry has insisted that he is fine with being excluded from The X Factor's new advertising campaign.

ITV unveiled its 'Whose Time Is Now' promo last month, featuring Leona Lewis, One Direction, Olly Murs, Alexandra Burke, JLS and Little Mix talking about their success since the show.

McElderry, along with fellow winners Shayne Ward, Matt Cardle, Leon Jackson and Steve Brookstein, were not included in the commercial.

"I'm not on Simon's [Cowell] label so I wouldn't expect him to promote me," McElderry told the Daily Star Sunday.

"If they want to erase the fact I won X Factor or try to hide it, I don't care.

"Personally I am proud I came from The X Factor. If Simon doesn't feel the same then you'll have to ask him why."

Ward recently hit out at his exclusion from the promo campaign.

He said: "Just seen the new X Factor promo video. Yet again it's like I'm being erased slowly from their history. Pathetic really. Would love to know why?"


'X Factor' series nine final to be held in Manchester

The X Factor 2012 final will be held in Manchester, it has been confirmed.

The talent contest is set to move from its traditional base in London for the climax of series nine, with judges Gary Barlow, Nicole Scherzinger, Tulisa and Louis Walsh, host Dermot O'Leary and the chosen hopefuls to now head to Manchester Central.

Show sponsor TalkTalk has also announced that it will be giving customers 10,000 tickets to the live final weekend via its Facebook page.

Louis Walsh commented on the news: "Our live final is going to be another major event - so The X Factor 2012 has everything! I believe it's going to be our best series yet."

Commercial director of TalkTalk Tristia Clarke also said: "We can't wait to take the X Factor live finals to Manchester for the first time.

"This year we helped to create the mobile auditions, which recruited talent from all over the country, and we're delighted that 10,000 of our customers will have the chance to join us at the finals in Manchester."

The X Factor series nine begins on Saturday (August 18) at 8pm on ITV1.


Can MundoFox Reproduce Fox's Success - En Espanol?

Twenty-six years ago, Fox emerged from nowhere to give audiences something they didn't even know they were missing: an alternative to the Big 3 networks that once dominated broadcasting.

MundoFox premieres Monday with hopes of doing the same thing – but in Spanish.

The network hopes to find a niche by emulating U.S. programming in every way except the language in which it is delivered. It aims to set itself apart from top-rated Spanish-language network Univision and second-place Telemundo with programming that breaks barriers the way Fox did a quarter-century ago with shows like "Married…. With Children" and "The Simpsons."

"When you're a Latino you have potentially two choices: You either have Spanish-language television that hasn't changed very much in ten years, that's very heavy on telenovelas and speaks much to the traditional Latino viewers," said Hernan Lopez, president and CEO of Fox International Channels. "And then you have the best television in the world, which happens to be in English. There isn't a third choice, and MundoFox is coming in to bring that third choice. That means television that feels, looks, sounds like American shows, but just happens to be created in Spanish."

MundoFox comes into the Spanish-language market with brand recognition that Fox took years to build. The new network is airing in 50 markets representing 80 percent of U.S. Hispanic households.

But it will face the same question Fox did: Whether there are enough viewers to go around. For Fox, there were. It is now the top-rated network in the key 18-49 demographic.

For MundoFox, it's an open question. It is only the latest network launched or partnership forged by U.S. networks trying to grab a fast-expanding Latino population.

The U.S. Census Bureau reported that between 2000 and 2010, the Hispanic population grew by 43 percent, or four times the nation's growth rate overall. Overall, Latinos represented 16 percent of the U.S. population, or 50.5 million of the 308.7 million Americans.

Latino viewers, however, are watching less TV than viewers overall. According to a Nielsen study last year, the average U.S. viewer watches five hours and 11 minutes daily. African-Americans watch the most, 7 hours and 12 minutes, followed by whites, who watch five hours and 2 minutes, Latinos, with 4 hours and 35 minutes, and Asians, who watch three hours and 14 minutes.

Still, one of MundoFox's established competitors says there's no shortage of Spanish-speaking viewers.

"The fact that there are new players coming to our industry validates the power and influence of the U.S. Hispanic market and helps increase the awareness of the opportunities in this dynamic and vibrant audience," said a spokeswoman for the NBCUniversal-owned Telemundo.

Univision declined to comment for this story. It boasts a 73 percent share of the Hispanic market despite competition from Telemundo and others. A decade ago it had 79 percent of the market. It is the fifth-highest-rated network overall in primetime.

Univision's share of Latino viewers is disappointing not only for its Spanish-language competitors but for its English-language ones. Last week, The New York Times noted the failure of even top-rated shows like "Modern Family," "Two and a Half Men" and "NCIS" to draw sizable Hispanic audiences.

The Times suggested that stereotypical characterizations in primetime might be one reason Latinos are cold on U.S. shows. Lopez has another theory: If you don't speak perfect English, the shows can be very hard to follow. That was his experience when he came to the U.S. from Argentina, he said.

"When I moved to the U.S. 15 years ago, my English wasn't perfect and one of the most difficult things to do was follow an American show because you have to follow every word and every situation and every expression," he said.

Now he can fully appreciate shows he couldn't before, he said: His favorite show is "Modern Family."

MundoFox's programming plans include teleseries – action/romance hybrids that skew more male than the telenovelas so popular on Spanish-language networks. MundoFox's premiere teleseries, the previously aired "El Capo 2," follows a fictional drug lord. Its other shows include "Los Exitosos Perez," a comedic look at identity theft, and "Kdabra," a supernatural series with a 17-year-old protagonist.

Those shows may sound like they could work for English- or Spanish-speaking audiences -- which is the point. MundoFox hopes to emulate English-language TV without alienating fans of traditional Spanish-language TV.

Take its tagline, "Americano como tu," which translates as "American like you." That might seem like a naked bid for an assimilated audience, but it isn't.

Many in Latin America consider themselves American -- they inhabit one of the American continents -- though people in the U.S. generally think the term refers only to them. Viewers, Lopez said, tend to interpret the tagline to refer to either usage of the word.

"That's working in our favor," he said. "Because both people born in the U.S. and Latinos born in Latin America see that and interpret it the way they see it."

English-language networks are also making serious efforts to draw Hispanics to their news broadcasts. ABC News and Univision recently formed an especially high-profile partnership.

Rather than partnering with Fox News, MundoFox will offer its own nightly newscast. Based in Los Angeles, it will air in different versions twice nightly – once for the East Coast and once for the West.


Free Samples of Seeds of Hate Served Up at Costco

The holocaust, as much a blight on human history as any other deed of forced human extinction, teaches us many things.

This is one event that you don't "get over" or "move on" from.  This is one event that should not be trivialized to create analogies to petty acts of theistic crimes against man or nature.

Contrary to what greasy Iranian despots who look like the snitch on "Miami Vice" may think, the Holocaust happened, and I take comfort that in its wake there was a groundswell of Jewish social and political dominance whose cry of "Never Again" kept the issue of hate on history's front burner.

Because of the Holocaust, we look for injustices whose origination might appear insignificant, and we nip it in the bud before injustice blossoms into hate, and hate morphs into sterilization. This is the muscle memory of history.

With every Nazi that was captured and brought to justice, a tumor was excised from society's underbelly. The sickness of a final solution is the result when injustice gains momentum. The famous quotation by Martin Niemoller, a prominent Protestant pastor who enraged Hitler with his anti-Nazi rhetoric wrote:

"First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out -- because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out -- because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out -- because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me -- and there was no one left to speak for me."

So when an author like Joan Rivers writes a book, "I Hate Everything ... Starting With Me," and her right of free expression and free trade is blocked by a publicly traded entity like Costco, then there is a problem -- a huge one.  To equate this with Nazi Germany is not only appropriate, it's absolutely correct.

Costco's problems with the book harken back to a proclamation by the German Student Association's Press and Propaganda Office to take "action against the Un-German Spirit."  The result of this action was a symbolic burning of 25,000 volumes of "un-German" books.  Libraries were pillaged and book stores were raped to the rhythm of anti-intellectual incantations and the breath-steam of hate. Dangerous authors like Helen Keller, Jack London, H.G. Wells and Ernest Hemingway had their collective works thrown on funeral pyres in 34 university towns across Germany.

Think of that the next time you navigate and graze the crowded aisles of Costco seeking samples of mini corn dogs. With every piece of free spinach quiche that the Sample Droid hands out like a mother starling regurgitating food into the gaping beaks of her hungry young, they also seek to deny nourishment to Joan Rivers' and all of our right to free speech and free trade.

When you are a publicly traded entity like Costco (NASDAQ: COST) you have an inherent responsibility to serve the public. The censorship of one book negates all of their charitable foundations, donations to food banks, etc. That is the propaganda Costco promotes in order to seduce the public. Behind the charity pumps a black corporate heart that serves to foist their political and social sensibilities unto their customer base. Costco's problems with a four-letter word on the back cover of Joan River's book is a thinly veiled excuse to control the right of free speech and access to same.

Costco has no problem selling DVD's that include scenes of rape, brutality and violence.  Costco has no problem selling fat-saturated, high sugar content foods that serve to promote the condition known as "diabesity" in our youth. Hell, Costco has no problem selling low cost caskets (please allow 3-4 weeks delivery). Yet when it comes to an outspoken woman whose life is of interest to thousands of people world-wide, it denies her of that right.

I'm not necessarily a fan of Joan Rivers, but I support her.

On those cold German nights when lemmings and anti-Semites warmed themselves at their fire of hate, one of the books that burned was written by German-Jewish poet Heinrich Heine, who wrote "Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen".

"Where they burn books, they will in the end also burn people."