Search This Blog

zondag 6 januari 2013

David E. Kelley discusses failed 'Wonder Woman' pilot: "We made mistakes"


While promoting his new TNT medical drama Monday Mornings at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena, California, producer extraordinaire David Kelley broached the subject of his much talked about 2011 pilot for a Wonder Woman series at NBC and commented on the chances of the CW's potential new Wonder Woman project getting off the ground.

Entitled Amazon, the CW project is in development and currently in the early stages of casting, although the network has yet to grant it a proper pilot order. Kelley's attempt to reboot Wonder Woman at the Peacock network completely missed the mark and the pilot has been almost universally derided by those who have seen it as an embarrassing failure, for both the producer and the venerable comic book character. For his part, Kelley admits that mistakes were made and acknowledges that the CW series could be successful if they can avoid the same pitfalls.

"I still believe it's viable for a television series. I think it's ripe to do it. We made mistakes with ours. My only regret is we were never given a chance to correct them," says the Emmy-winning producer. "We had a lot that was right about it and a great cast. In time, we could have fixed what we had done wrong, we just didn't get that chance. All my series have been a work in progress to a certain extent where you figure them out by episodes three, four or five. This one actually gelled sooner than any that I have had in the past. We would have gotten there and I wish we were afforded a little more time. I do believe in the potential of the series and I wish them well with it. I think it could be a great success."

As for what he would have done differently, Kelley notes that time was of the essence and that he wasn't as familiar with the superhero genre as he should have been when he embarked on the project. "We produced it at warp speed and it's a special effects show and it took more time than we were able to give it. We were able to give it more time and extended it had we been picked up," he explained. "Just learning the storytelling – the genre was very different for me and I had a lot to learn; my learning curve probably would have gotten better. I'm sad we didn't get to do it but I do believe it can work for the CW. They're smart to try it."

The early image that was officially released of star Adrianne Palicki in full Wonder Woman regalia was heaped with scorn by critics across the internet and seemed to kill the project before it ever really had a chance. Kelley is adamant that his series would have eventually found its footing, but would he attempt to mount the project again if the opportunity presented itself? "I would. It's different for me, it's a genre that I have a lot to learn about. At this point in your life, everybody should do something that they're scared of; I was a little scared of it, I remain a little scared of it and be happy to wade into the fear again," Kelley asserts, adding that if he were going to pursue another superhero franchise, he would beg Avengers director Joss Whedon to guide him. "He's pretty good at it."


E! Entertainment Programming President Lisa Berger Steps Down


Lisa Berger, the president of entertainment programming for E! Entertainment, has resigned, a spokeswoman for the network told TheWrap on Friday.

Berger, who had been with E! for nine years, was responsible for massive hits as "Keeping Up With the Kardashians," "Chelsea Lately" and "The Girls Next Door."

“After nine wonderful years at E!, I have made the difficult decision to leave my post as President, Entertainment Programming," Berger said of her resignation. "My time at E! has been an amazing experience both professionally and personally, and it is hard to sum up nearly a decade of show launches, milestone moments and incredible friendships."

Berger added that she is "extremely proud of all of our accomplishments taking the network to record heights and forever grateful to my team whose talent and dedication knows no bounds.  Although it won't be easy for me to say goodbye, I look forward to sharing the news of my next challenge in the months ahead.”

E! President Suzanne Kolb said that Berger will "be dearly missed," noting that her "talent and creative vision have been invaluable to the success of E! over the past nine years."

Prior to E!, Berger worked at Fox Television Studios Productions, where she was instrumental in bringing the hit drama "The Shield" to FX.


Sarah Michelle Gellar contemplating return to television in new comedy project


Although her television comeback last year didn't pan out, Sarah Michelle Gellar may be returning to the small screen next fall as the star of a new half-hour comedy being developed at 20th Century Fox Television, home of her previous hit Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Forever remembered as the titular executioner of the undead on the popular series that ran from 1997 until 2003 on The WB and UPN, Gellar's interest in the new project was sparked after reading a spec script penned by Men at Work staff writer Shepard Boucher. Currently untitled, the potential series will document what parents do while their kids aren't at home, with the 35-year-old actress circling the role of the wife and mother. David Hemingson (Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23) and Margaret Riley (Love and Other Drugs) are serving as executive producers on the project, which will be offered to the major networks in the coming weeks.

In her first regular TV role since Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gellar starred last fall on The CW drama Ringer, in which she played a woman on the run who managed to hide by assuming the identity of her wealthy twin sister. Despite winning a plethora of awards and finishing fifth overall on the network, Ringer was canceled at the end of the season. The new project represents Gellar's second attempt at the comedy genre, following her turn in The Wonderful Maladys, a 2009 pilot for HBO that the premium cable network declined to pick up.


Discovery green-lights two new reality series: "Extreme Smuggling" and "Shipwreck Men"


Discovery Channel is hitting the high-seas and bringing two brand new wave-crashing, swashbuckling reality series to your living room. This week, Discovery Channel has given the green light to “Shipwreck Men” and “Extreme Smuggling” which although they are only just being announced, premiere on Monday, January 14th.

“Shipwreck Men” will be somewhat of a cross between “Deadliest Catch” and “Operation Repo”. The show will cover four rival companies that are in the business of salvage off the coast of southern Florida. These companies race each other to the scene of sinking vessels and other maritime accidents to look for opportunities to make money off of others ocean failures. Discovery Channel has had former success with shows of a similar format with both “Deadliest Catch” and “Gold Rush Alaska”, and so “Shipwreck Men” will likely perform well.

The second show, “Extreme Smuggling”, is a documentary that takes a look unto the dangerous world of drug smuggling, animal trafficking and illegal gun trading. Each episode will focus on a technique or method that criminals use to move their illegal smuggled goods on land and in the water. The series will incorporate video footage collected by undercover agents and by producers who gained the trust of some of the criminals.




'Twin Peaks' revival rumor untrue, says co-creator Mark Frost


Following the news that the Twilight Zone would be making its return to television, the rumor mills started a'churning. One of the more prevalent resultant rumors was that Twin Peaks, the weird CBS mystery series created by David Lynch and Mark Frost, was being revived by the network. Nobody's sure where the rumor came from (probably a giant in a dream), but it was confirmed on Friday that there's no truth to it.

That confirmation came from none other than Mark Frost himself, who took to Twitter to quash the rumors. "Dear Internet: You are very good at spreading rumors. Truth is more valuable and much harder to come by. Sincerely yours, @mfrost11," he wrote.

Well, it looks like that solves it, I guess -- unless you want to read into the tweet that there is a "more valuable" truth about a Twin Peaks revival.

I personally would have liked to see Twin Peaks return -- I've recently started watching the series, and though I'm aware of the apparently disappointing ending, the show is such surrealist fun that's rarely seen on television anymore. In fact, I've only seen such surrealism on the FX series Louie -- which featured a guest arc from Twin Peaks co-creator David Lynch.


Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears condemns Azealia Banks 'f*ggot' comment


Scissor Sisters band member Jake Shears has commented on Azealia Banks's recent Twitter tirade against Perez Hilton.

Banks aimed a homophobic slur at Hilton after he criticised her feud with rapper Angel Haze, calling him a "f*ggot".

The '212' rapper later defended her use of the word, explaining: "A f*ggot is not a homosexual male. A f*ggot is any male who acts like a female. There's a BIG difference."

Shears, who is openly gay, has now condemned Banks's use of the word in a new series of tweets, writing: "Oh yeah. 'F*ggot.' Totally cool. Give me a f**king break."

He added: "It all about context. And right now, I'm sorry, but context is not on your side... Donna Summer was ostracized for a decade from words she used about her gay fans. Too bad she didn't have twitter to recant them immediately."

Shears and Banks collaborated last year on the Scissor Sisters track 'Shady Love'.


'Made in Chelsea' with Jon Snow, Amy Childs


Jon Snow and Amy Childs have filmed guest appearances for tonight's (January 4) Made in Chelsea.

Made in Chelsea Celebrity Mash Up sees the Channel 4 News presenter attend a toga party as Cheska Hull's 'new man'.

Cheska proudly shows off her date to Binky Felstead and Ollie Locke, but the romance quickly crumbles when Jamie Laing declares his love for Cheska, causing her to run from the party in tears.

Former TOWIE star Childs makes an equally unexpected appearance at the event, as Laing's 'little sister'.

Introduced as an Oxford student who was a member of Mensa at 12 and sat 18 A-levels at 14, Oliver Proudlock and Spencer Matthews are surprised to have never met her before.

"Best-looking book worm I've ever seen. What happened to the family genes? She's tall and attractive and you're you," Matthews comments.

Other celebrities in tonight's episode include Rick Edwards fitting Locke with his first measured suit, and Francis Boulle finally landing an intern worthy of Boulle Enterprises - Nick Hewer of The Apprentice and Countdown fame.