Search This Blog

woensdag 15 augustus 2012

Benedict Cumberbatch on posh-bashing: I'm castigated as a rich b**tard

Benedict Cumberbatch has said that he is not happy about the "posh-bashing" he sometimes suffers.

The actor told the Radio Times that such attention makes him consider moving to the US.

"All the posh-bashing that goes on," Cumberbatch said. "I wasn't born into land or titles, or new money, or an oil rig.

"[I'm] castigated as a moaning, rich public school b**tard, complaining about only getting posh roles."

He added: "So domestic, and so dumb. It makes me think I want to go to America."

Cumberbatch has previously complained about being typecast because of his upbringing.

"Being a posh actor in England, you can't escape class-typing, from whatever side you look at it," he said last year.

"I realised quite early on that, although I wasn't trying to make a career speciality of it, I was playing slightly asexual, sociopathic intellectuals."

When it was suggested that drinking green tea had turned him 'all LA', Cumberbatch said: "No, I'm just being good today.

"And actually, you know, LA is not all that abstemious. There's much more drinking and partying going on than I thought there would be.

"It's all about extremes with that place, so you get the worst excesses of everything - the health-kick thing, over-indulgence, recreational drug use, everything. It's paradise!"