Search This Blog

dinsdag 23 oktober 2012

John Simm on 'Doctor Who' return: 'I'd take The Master to dark place'

John Simm has revealed that he is open to returning to Doctor Who.

The actor played The Master in five episodes of the sci-fi drama between 2007 and 2010, but told an audience at the Cheltenham Literature Festival that he would like to take a "different" approach to the villainous role in the future.

"I'd love to have another take on him, to be a bit quieter," Simm said, according to the Radio Times.

The 42-year-old hinted that he was not entirely happy with his portrayal in previous episodes, adding: "I started annoying myself after a while. [Then-showrunner] Russell T Davies had a specific idea of what he wanted him to be like. So I just had to do exactly what he wanted me to, and he wanted a giggling lunatic."

Simm explained that he would be interested in taking The Master to "a very, very dark place" under current head writer and executive producer Steven Moffat.

"I'm sure his take on [the character] would be different so I'd be interested to have a look at it," said the star.

Doctor Who will return to BBC One this Christmas for a festive special, with eight more episodes to follow in 2013.