Search This Blog

maandag 26 maart 2012

Simon Cowell admits 'Voice' UK is "wake-up call" for 'Got Talent'

Simon Cowell admits 'Voice' UK is "wake-up call" for 'Got Talent'

Simon Cowell has admitted that he returned to Britain's Got Talent to ensure its dominance in the ratings.

The Syco boss told The Sun on Sunday that the emergence of BBC One's The Voice has been a "wake-up call" for the ITV format.

The 52-year-old recalled: "Knowing [The Voice] was on the horizon, I got all of our team over to America last year.

"I said, 'We're in a completely different place, this show has got to be the greatest series ever produced'.

"If someone beats or competes, it means you've got to work better. And in a funny way the viewers benefit.

"I thought I'd make a difference because I was in the mood to do it."

Reserving special praise for Amanda Holden, he added: "I couldn't do it without my Amanda. Alesha [Dixon], I've been after her for a long time, and David [Walliams] I've wanted on the show for two years."

Cowell, in a fresh dig at the BBC, claimed: "They wanted to have a pop at Britain's Got Talent because it's too popular and they don't like The X Factor being as popular as it is."