Search This Blog

woensdag 21 december 2011

Helen Mirren eyes Doctor Who role

Helen Mirren eyes Doctor Who role

Dame Helen Mirren wants to play the Time Lord in 'Doctor Who'.

The Oscar-winning actress would love to appear as the twelfth incarnation of the time-travelling Doctor in the BBC One sci-fi series, but has ruled out replacing Karen Gillan - who was axed from the show last week - as his trusty companion.

She is quoted by the Daily Star newspaper as saying: "I would like to play the new female Doctor Who. I don't want to just be his sidekick."

Since the show was created in 1963, the Doctor has regenerated into a new form every few series and while all of his embodiments have so far been men, it is theoretically possible he could regenerate as a woman.

Current Doctor Matt Smith has previously picked Helen, 65, as one of a number of stars he would love to see join him in the TARDIS for the series.

He said: "Helen Mirren would be great in 'Doctor Who', also Eric Cantona and Vincent Cassel - he would be number one actually.

"I would love Rowan Atkinson to be in 'Doctor Who', I think he'd be wonderful. I know Rowan did a Comic relief version and it was great, I think he's a fantastic actor, but I don't know if he'd do it."