Search This Blog

woensdag 1 februari 2012

Joe Manganiello: 'True Blood helps people through tough times'

Joe Manganiello: 'True Blood helps people through tough times'

Joe Manganiello has suggested that True Blood brings comfort to its viewers in these tough economic times.

The actor - who plays the werewolf Alcide Herveaux on True Blood - said that the HBO series allows its viewers to get lost in a world of fantasy and intrigue for an hour each week.

"Honestly [our success] might be the fact that we're in a global economic recession, and people need this kind of fantasy to get far away from where they're at," Manganiello told Flaunt.

He added: "When finances are down werewolves embody people's fears that the masses are going to turn animalistic - a fear that the have-nots will attack the haves."

Manganiello also revealed that he had a troubled childhood because his vivid dreams of monsters coming out his closet often caused him to be ostracised from other kids.

"I'd always yell at my mum to close the door at night because I wanted monsters to come out of the closet and from under the bed," he recalled. "I really felt like if they existed, they would at least be my friends."

The actor went on to say: "I really didn't feel like I fit in until I got True Blood. I've never been more fulfilled in my entire life, from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep at night. I always felt like something was missing, and I don't anymore."

Manganiello recently promised that Alcide won't be "taking anyone's shit" in True Blood's new season.

The fifth season of True Blood premieres on HBO this summer.