Search This Blog

dinsdag 28 februari 2012

'True Blood' showrunner Alan Ball to step down after fifth season

'True Blood' showrunner Alan Ball to step down after fifth season

True Blood showrunner Alan Ball is to step down from his full-time role at the end of the show's fifth season, it has been confirmed.

Ball, who has a contract with showrunners HBO, will stay with the supernatural drama if it is picked up for a sixth season, but in a supervisory role as he steps up work on new crime drama Banshee for HBO's sister network Cinemax.

A statement from HBO read: "When we extended our overall deal with Alan Ball in July 2011, we always intended that if we proceeded to True Blood's sixth season that Alan would take a supervisory role on the series and not be the day-to-day showrunner.

"If we proceed to season six, the show will remain in the very capable hands of the talented team of writers and producers who have been with the show for a number of years.

"Alan will remain available as executive producer to consult and advise on True Blood and he will be free to develop new shows for both HBO and Cinemax.

"Banshee, on which Alan serves as executive producer, is the first in-house series for Cinemax and is expected to begin production this spring."

Ball added: "True Blood has been, and will continue to be, a highlight of not only my career but my life.

"Because of the fantastic cast, writers, producers and crew, with whom I have been lucky enough to work these past five years, I know I could step back and the show will continue to thrive as I look forward to new and exciting ventures."

Ball had previously hinted that he was considering leaving the show after its fifth season, stating: "I don't know if I have any left in me after that. We'll see."