Search This Blog

zaterdag 14 april 2012

Danny O'Donoghue: 'I'm surprised I was offered Voice UK role'

Danny O'Donoghue: 'I'm surprised I was offered Voice UK role'

Danny O'Donoghue has admitted he is still shocked the BBC offered him a coaching role on The Voice UK.

The 31-year-old singer-songwriter, famous for being the frontman in Irish band The Script, won his seat on the BBC talent show over Will Young.

"I have absolutely no idea how I managed to talk my way into it," he told Fabulous magazine.

"I'd interviewed for the position and been called back, but I heard that people like Mary J Blige were also in the running. I knew Will Young was the favourite.

"As far as I was aware there was a lot of hearsay and rumour and I didn't know anything for sure. But I was so thrilled to get the job."

The 'For The First Time' singer, who judges alongside Sir Tom Jones, Jessie J and will.i.am, also revealed that The Voice's success has increased his popularity.

"After the show went out I had 200 marriage proposals in two days," he recalled. "Crazy stuff. And I get a lot of girls tweeting the same message over and over asking me to follow them, which is a bit like someone constantly ringing your doorbell.

"I'm loving it though. I see it as a bit of fun unless it starts getting stalkerish. My mother checks my Twitter, and I wouldn't like her to see what people have said they'd like to do to me."

However, O'Donoghue insisted: "I never wanted to be famous for being famous. I wanted to be known for my music.

"But we've been looking for a project that would help get our personalities across for quite a while and this was the best way forward. Now's the time to go balls to the wall."