Search This Blog

zaterdag 2 februari 2013

Roland Rat returns to ITV 'Daybreak' to mark 30 years of breakfast TV


Roland Rat returned to his home on ITV breakfast TV today (February 1) to mark the 30th anniversary of the launch of TV-am.

The cheeky rodent spoke with Daybreak hosts Kate Garraway and Aled Jones, and the original TV-am credits were aired to mark the occasion.

ITV's first ever breakfast TV show aired on February 1, 1983 and was hosted by Sir David Frost, Sir Michael Parkinson, Angela Rippon, Anna Ford and Robert Kee.

Fellow TV-am presenter Roland Rat is generally regarded as saving the ailing show and in the '80s was dubbed the saviour of TV-am, transforming the show's ratings into a hit.

Speaking today, Roland said: "Can I just say to all the viewers in light of Beckham donating his fee to charity I'm going to donate my pathetic fee this morning for coming on here - £3.50 and I had to beg for that.

"No, shut ya face, I'm telling you I'm going to donate my fee to the Kevin the Gerbil Charity for Rodent TV superstars to keep me in the life I'm accustomed to, right thank you, carry on."

Roland Rat went on to become a popular TV star in the '80s with co-stars Kevin the Gerbil and Errol the Hamster, landing various spin-off shows, and even released his own album with tracks such as 'Rat Rapping'.