Search This Blog

dinsdag 6 december 2011

Katey Sagal on 'Sons of Anarchy' Season Finale -- and How It All Ends

Katey Sagal on 'Sons of Anarchy' Season Finale -- and How It All Ends

Ask Katey Sagal if being married to "Sons of Anarchy" creator Kurt Sutter means she knows how the series will end, and she lets out a sigh.

"Oh," she says. "No. I wish I did … but it's better for me just to find out when everybody else finds out. You know, I get little tidbits here and there. I don't get much."

Her daughter, however, believes she has the inside track on the "Hamlet" inspired biker-gang drama, which airs its season four finale tonight at 10/9c on FX.

"She knows 'Hamlet' very well. And she keeps saying, 'Oh, if he's following this, this is going to happen!' We all try to figure it out. But I don't know how close he's going to stick to that … I'm not sure what he's going to do."

One thing the show has done this season is move the story forward with a tense, terrific series of changes: Club president Clay turned to the dark side, original member Piney was murdered, and Sagal's character, Gemma, struggled to keep their family together.

Sagal, a Golden Globe winner also well-known for "Married … with Children" and "Futurama," talked to TheWrap about Gemma's future and how her past will continue to haunt her.

This season has been so tension-filled, and then the finale feels like it could have been a series finale …
I'll tell you, for me, this season was the most complicated to track as I was going. Because really what you're doing is, over a 13‑episode arc, you're telling a story that just keeps extending. And you know, it's really only a two‑week time period, I think, that the whole season takes place, maybe even less.

So it was just more complicated this season to track where Gemma was emotionally, because there were so many twists and turns. From realizing that the letters were stateside to realizing that Tara knew about them, and then there were copies of them. You know, thinking for a moment that we were in the clear because I really thought that they'd been burned. (Gemma) didn't realize they were copied until much later, so yes, there was a lot of ups and downs through the entire season.

Do you feel like this was a different Gemma this season than we've really seen before? This was maybe the first time that she was truly rattled a little bit?
Yes, I think what you're seeing towards the end of the season is a little bit of a rattle. I thought it was really interesting, that whole Tara and Gemma part of it all. Because Gemma's whole focus is keeping her family together. She simply lives for that club, and lives for her grandchildren, and her son.