Search This Blog

zaterdag 28 april 2012

Benedict Cumberbatch 'desperate for Sherlock to be US success'

Benedict Cumberbatch 'desperate for Sherlock to be US success'

Benedict Cumberbatch has admitted that he is "desperate" for Sherlock to be a hit in the US.

The actor argued that the BBC detective drama is only a "cult thing" in America, where it airs on PBS.

"I'm desperate for America to really take to this," he told The New York Times. "It has taken it into its heart as a cult thing, but I'd love it to hit the mainstream this time. Because I just think it's of that quality, and it belongs there."

Cumberbatch added that he was envious of the success enjoyed in the US by Downton Abbey, recalling an incident at the Golden Globes in which PBS Masterpiece producer Rebecca Eaton had light-heartedly taunted him with the show's award.

"I just looked at it and went, 'Begone, woman. Bring it back when it says "Sherlock Holmes" or Steven Moffat or myself - someone else who's more deserving than the second series of Downton Abbey'."

However, the actor refused to be drawn on his criticism of the ITV1 period drama.

"I know too many people who are in it," he said. "I thought the first series was good. That's what I'll say."

The second series of Sherlock premieres on Sunday, May 6 on PBS.