Search This Blog

woensdag 30 mei 2012

'The Voice' UK Max Milner dismisses John Lydon 'humiliation' comments

Former The Voice UK contestant Max Milner has responded to John Lydon's claim that TV talent shows humiliate contestants, saying that he "felt [at] home" on the BBC format.

Lydon has been quoted as saying that shows like The Voice and The X Factor have a "painful tone of... smirking at who gets voted off" and are "utterly corrupting".

Speaking to Digital Spy, Milner rejected the punk icon's suggestion and said that, aside from some questionable editing in the Battle Rounds, he had not felt taken advantage of by The Voice.

"I never felt humiliated, no," he said. "I think I came across as slightly cocky in the Battle Rounds, which I'm really not. But that's the way it was edited and it's done now.

"And then we got into the live rounds, so I could only be me. I think maybe they can [humiliate], but in my experience, absolutely not. I almost felt [at] home."

Milner, who was voted out in The Voice semi-final this weekend, agreed that his "amazing" fellow contestant Bo Bruce and their mentor Danny O'Donoghue were a big part of why he enjoyed the experience.

"[Danny] just believed in me, which is just so beautiful and so lovely," he said. "I owe everything to him, I really do. I look up to him so much, and that's not just because he's 6ft 4.

"You can see from somebody's body language and how they speak to you whether they actually like you, and I feel like he really does. I could just chill with him, and I have chilled with him in the pub. I'd like to think that he'd be happy in my company, as happy as I am in his."

However, the 21-year-old from London admitted that he was somewhat disappointed that he could not sing original songs on The Voice.

"I wanna get my music out there because I feel like I'm almost destined to sing my own words," he explained. "Obviously I haven't been able to do that on The Voice, it's all been covers.

"I suppose I was [disappointed] to an extent. I can understand that some people are instantly on board by hearing the song choice, but I would have loved to show my sound and really get that across. But hopefully that's not a pipe dream and I can do that now."