Search This Blog

maandag 13 augustus 2012

Bret Easton Ellis: 'Big Bang Theory is gayness personified'

Bret Easton Ellis has dismissed all CBS sitcoms as "crap".

The American Psycho author stirred up controversy this week when he claimed that Magic Mike star Matt Bomer should not be cast in a Fifty Shades of Grey movie because he is openly gay.

Ellis later began tweeting about gay actors playing straight characters on television, singling out Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother).

"Feel complicated about Neil Patrick Harris on How I Met Your Mother - central joke being that he's a gay actor playing a... womaniser," he wrote.

"Why not cast Jason Segel in the Neil Patrick Harris role in How I Met Your Mother? [Because] the meta-joke is that Harris is openly gay. Lame..."

He continued: "You don't think the makers of How I Met Your Mother didn't KNOW that Neil Patrick Harris was gay and that would be part of the joke? Really?

"Look, I like Neil Patrick Harris especially when he's hosting The Tonys but How I Met Your Mother is, like all CBS sitcoms, a piece of crap."

Ellis then referenced The Big Bang Theory, calling the popular series "another terrible CBS sitcom".

"And please don't get me started on the gay The Big Bang Theory - I'm too tired to go there," he wrote. "Gayness personified."

The 48-year-old writer then denied accusations of homophobia, arguing that his critics are "missing the point".

"I'm not a homophobe. I'm a misanthrope," he argued. "I hate the way homosexuality is presented in our entertainment culture."