Search This Blog

dinsdag 9 oktober 2012

Paul Hollywood to star in 'Great British Bake-Off' spinoff

Paul Hollywood is set to star in his own solo series following the success of The Great British Bake-Off.

Hollywood discussed future projects at the Cheltenham Literature Festival, including a Christmas special for the popular BBC Two show.

According to the Radio Times, Hollywood has just finished filming the Christmas-themed edition of The Great British Bake-Off with co-host Mary Berry, and is now set to concentrate on his own show, which has the working title Bread.

Hollywood said of the new programme: "It's about bread but I'm also cooking with bread and doing a few cakes - most of the cakes before the 1820s were made with yeast and it wasn't until the introduction of raising agents that you got the light, fluffy cake that we prize today. I've been all over the country looking into the history of bread."

He also discussed his life-long passion for bread-making, explaining: "I ended up concentrating on bread [in my career] because it was one of the hardest things to master. You're harnessing an animal - yeast.

"When you're manipulating and kneading the dough, it's such a release of stress. I'm paying for it now because I've got big problems with my neck and carpal tunnel syndrome in both my wrists."

The Great British Bake-Off has proved a huge ratings success for the BBC, with the exit of Cathryn Dresser last week being watched by a record 4.8m people.

It has even led to Hollywood being ascribed sex symbol status, something he claims to find "embarrassing".