Search This Blog

zondag 20 januari 2013

Celebrity Big Brother housemates split by gun debate


The Celebrity Big Brother house saw a clear UK/US divide in a debate about American gun laws last night (January 18).

Following Gillian's eviction last night, Big Brother provided housemates with a game in which topics were picked and random and debated amongst the house.

After chatting about the ups and downs of fame, Spencer and Heidi randomly picked 'America is the greatest country on Earth' as their topic, leading the couple to cheer.

Heidi told the housemates: "God bless America. America is the land of the free. The American dream can happen. You can come from nothing, as I have, and become what I've become has been a blessing. The greatest place on Earth; and you have so many rights, and freedoms and protection."

After Neil jokingly interrupted, Spencer nodded as Heidi continued: "I would say that it's a land of opportunity, a land that believes in rights to bear arms, absolutely, protect yourself because that it's one of the proudest things as an American woman where there's so much crime, I can protect myself and feel safe when I'm home alone without Spencer.

"If I had children or a family that I could protect them on my own, I think that's one of the greatest rights of our country that we have fought for and very proud to have."

Neil then rebutted Heidi's argument, raising a chorus of cheers by saying: "I love America and American people, that is why they are the second best country in the world!"

He continued: "We are the best country in the world. I agree with protecting your own property, but there are too many people in America with guns without permits and too many innocent people being killed in America. That's why that is just slightly behind us."

Heidi defended her support for guns, saying: "I get death threats all the time, from psychos, so if I didn't have them I wouldn't feel comfortable."

Claire replied: "I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having a gun in my house with children around… something that powerful, I would feel scared!"

While the non-American housemates laughed, Heidi and Spencer sat in silence as the debate moved on to the next topic.