Search This Blog

zondag 20 januari 2013

Ryan Murphy talks American Horror Story season 3


AHS co-creator Ryan Murphy spills the beans on some of what's in store for season three...

Week in, week out, we’ve praised Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk’s American Horror Story for its cast, innovation and stylistic experimentation. Never content to rest on its laurels, the anthology series has showed no sign of running out of ideas thus far, and according to Murphy, season three is not about to buck that trend.

Speaking at a screening of the season two finale, Murphy let the assembled press in on his plans for the next run of American Horror Story. Here are the choice morsels of what he had to say:

On Jessica Lange’s role in season three:

The thing that I really wanted to do next season was something that’s funnier. I love this season and I think it was successful, but I really miss that Jessica Lange as Constance stuff, and I know she missed it, too. The only thing I’ll say about [season three] is that it’s a mixture of several cities, and it’s really about female power. I got Jessica to do it because I did everything she asked, which was the location, and I also told her that she would have complete hair and make-up and the best designer gowns, ever. She said, “Please don’t put me in a wimple again, ever!.” So, she’s going to play a real glamour cat lady, in season three.

[...] I come up with the story and, obviously, it’s always now crafted around Jessica, for the most part. Before I talk to anybody, I go to her and tell her what the story is and what the character is, and then she has input. This year, she said, “I would like to work with X, Y and Z.  Will you please meet with these people?”  So, I’m doing that.  I will say that, for season three, we’re going to have some actors from season one, who will return.

On the setting and tone of season three:

The season that we’re just about to do is another thing, like the asylum, that I was always really interested in, as a kid. [It’s] more historical in nature.

I’m also interested in getting into a horror romance. That’s certainly something that’s going to be in the water for season three. I think you’ll see a very different tone in season three, but that’s the joy of the show. As a person, right now, I do feel lighter and maybe want to embrace something a little bit more fun.

[…] There will be time periods, and there will also be different cities. I love that. The great heroes of this show are our brilliant production designer, our brilliant costumer, and our DP, who are all coming back. They’re just great, and I know they really enjoy the research.

Will Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters be returning?

Yeah. […] I’m talking to a lot of people. A lot of people like to do this show because they like to jump in the waters. It’s a four-month commitment. It’s not nine months. Some people are doing movies. Some people have committed to doing plays. So, we’re going to have some new people come in, and some old people will come back.

On season three’s promised romance:

There is going to be a definite return to a youth element, which I certainly liked from season one, but I like the star-crossed lovers from different tracks thing. This season had a couple of strong romances, but the romances were more like friendships.