Search This Blog

dinsdag 22 januari 2013

Helen Flanagan "ran off" Corrie set due to "severe depression"


Helen Flanagan has claimed that the Coronation Street cast and crew used to laugh at her on the set.

The I'm a Celebrity star believes writers destroyed her self-confidence when giving her character Rosie Webster "silly costumes".

Flanagan told the Daily Mail: "I felt people were taking the mickey out of me. I felt Rosie had become a cartoon character and I wasn't being taken seriously.

"At times, when I was asked to wear silly costumes, I felt a bit degraded and demoralised and there were times when I ran off set because I couldn't stand it anymore."

She continued: "I just wanted to be myself. I wanted to get rid of this sexy image. I felt I was being laughed at.

"I thought people at work didn't like me anymore and considered me a drama queen, a brattish diva, but I was severely depressed. I was crying my eyes out all the time.

"Eventually, someone at work pulled me aside and said, 'I really don't think you can do this anymore', because I was not well at all."

The actress pinpointed one particular moment of upset, recalling: "Once, on Corrie, I had to do this really sexy scene with loads of dialogue. I'd hardly been sleeping and couldn't concentrate so I was struggling to remember the words.

"I was wearing a bra and knickers, feeling very self-conscious, going through really bad depression. I felt knackered and just burst into tears. It was too much pressure."

Flanagan stood down from Corrie in October 2011 before her character departed Weatherfield in February 2012.