Search This Blog

vrijdag 20 juli 2012

Big Brother Scott, Ashleigh warned over comments "stereotyping" Deana

Big Brother housemates Scott Mason and Ashleigh Hughes have been warned over controversial comments today.

The pair had been talking about fellow housemate and Miss India UK Deana Uppal's eating habits when the incident occurred.

Earlier today, Ashleigh told other housemates how Deana was "really irritating" her and described her as a "lost zombie".

Scott agreed, saying that Deana was in her "own little bubble".

She added: "She's definitely 100% doing it for the cameras now," which was met with agreement from Conor McIntyre.

After she commented that she didn't like the way Deana eats her food, Ashleigh did an impression of her, causing other housemates to laugh.

Ashleigh continued to recall how she once told Deana that she had milk around her mouth while eating cereal, and that she wiped her mouth with her hand. She also noted how Deana prefers to eat her cereal with her hands instead of a spoon.

She added: "Do you know what, they used to do that in my dad's takeaway, my dad owned an Indian takeaway and they used to eat everything with their hands."

"I think it's the culture," Scott replied. Ashleigh added: "I just wanted to give her the spoon."

Later, Scott was called into the Diary Room, where they told him: "Before you entered the Big Brother house you were reminded of the rules regarding unacceptable language and behaviour. You were told that Big Brother will intervene and take appropriate action if housemates behave in a way that Big Brother considers to be unacceptable.

"Earlier today at 4.46pm you had the following conversation with Ashleigh. Big Brother believes that your use of language in this conversation could be seen as stereotyping and therefore potentially offensive. Do you understand?"

Scott replied: "Oops, I'm sorry."

Big Brother continued: "Big Brother has no option other than to issue you with a formal warning; if you use this type of language again we may have to consider removing you from the Big Brother house. Do you understand Scott?"

He replied: "Now that I hear it back it sounds really bad. That's really horrible 'cos I do actually like Deana and I wouldn't want to be horrible, like. I'm sorry for getting carried away and talking about someone, especially like that. I'm really sorry about that."

After Ashleigh received a similar warning, Big Brother continued: "[Bullying] can include factions developing, tensions, arguments and ostracising of individuals. Examples of bullying could be excluding people ridiculing or humiliating people, name calling, sarcasm and rumour spreading."

"I am sorry, it's not very nice," Ashleigh replied. "I didn't mean to make people feel ostracised, but I understand my actions and I'm really sorry. I am really sorry."

Big Brother was involved in a high-profile race incident when Jade Goody, Jo O'Meara and Danielle Lloyd made controversial comments about Indian contestant Shilpa Shetty in 2007.

After a lengthy investigation, Ofcom ruled that Channel 4 had breached codes of conduct over the episode, causing statutory sanctions being placed on the channel.