Search This Blog

vrijdag 20 juli 2012

Plan B criticises 'X Factor' celebrity and image focus

Plan B has taken a swipe at Simon Cowell's The X Factor, criticising it for being about image and celebrity rather than making great music.

The 'ill Manors' singer ruled out ever appearing on the ITV1 reality show, claiming that he would be "neglecting" his musical gift if he were to use the show as a platform.

"No disrespect to anyone involved in those shows, but all they do is boost your profile as a celebrity," he told Shortlist.

"There are a lot of pop acts with just a pretty face and a half-decent voice. They don't even write their own s**t. I'm lucky enough to have a gift that allows me to create things from nothing: music, films, fictional characters. Others don't have that, so their work goes into their image as a celebrity.

"So, if I have a gift like this, wouldn't I be neglecting it if I appeared on a show like The X Factor?"

Plan B also claimed that the reason he turned down the chance to work with Jay-Z was because it had been set up by industry people rather than personally by the US rapper.

"I want people like [Jay-Z] to come to me and say, 'I like what you're doing, let's collaborate'. Otherwise, I'd just be licking their arse," he said.

"Music should be a personal thing, the minute you start thinking, 'Who can I get in with?' you're basically saying you don't give a f**k about artistic expression. You only give a f**k about money."