Search This Blog

vrijdag 20 juli 2012

'Inbetweeners' co-creator defends US remake: 'Don't pre-judge it'

The Inbetweeners co-creator Iain Morris has defended the show's US remake.

A trailer for MTV's revamp of the E4 comedy recently debuted online, provoking a hostile reaction from some fans of the original.

Writing on his Twitter account, Morris explained: "I'm not going to comment on the American Inbetweeners a lot because I have to use Twitter for more interesting things like complaining, but the pilot director, Taika Waititi, has made consistently funny TV shows and one of my favourite films of all time in [2010 comedy-drama] Boy.

"Brad [Copeland], the showrunner, is a very funny man who has worked on Arrested Development and My Name is Earl, two shows I love. Damon [Beesley] and I didn't have a lot to do with it because we wanted it to be different and American, and it is, I think in a positive way."

Morris urged fans of the UK Inbetweeners not to "pre-judge" MTV's version.

"You might like it, you might hate it, but don't pre-judge it," he wrote. "And the original will always exist. Always. Never going away."

He concluded: "Lastly, I know people are only angry about the US Inbetweeners cos they love the UK one, which is amazing really, and honestly appreciated."

The Inbetweeners will debut on MTV in the US on August 20.