Search This Blog

zaterdag 7 juli 2012

'Superstar': Singing 'Billy Elliot', rock band reject impress judges

A 'singing Billy Elliot' and a rock star reject are among the acts who stun the judges during the first episode of Andrew Lloyd Webber's new talent show Superstar.

Lloyd Webber and his judging team - Mel C, Jason Donovan and Dawn French - are looking for a rock opera sensation to star in the first UK arena tour of the musical Jesus Christ Superstar.

The judges are left speechless by an audition from former Reemer singer David Hunter. The 24-year-old, who has supported McFly and Scouting for Girls on tour, leaves Mel C and Donovan in awe at his rendition of 'Awaiting You'.

"I'm lost for words," says Donovan when his audition ends.

Other success stories are self-proclaimed Billy Elliot and holiday camp worker Jon Moses, who performs 'Empty Chairs, Empty Tables' from Les Misérables.

"I remember I did say at auditions that if I got through this stage I would run around naked. I'm beginning to change my mind now," jokes Jon.

Liverpool rock band singer Rory Taylor also causes a stir with a rendition of Paul McCartney's 'Maybe I'm Amazed'.

Superstar starts tonight (Saturday, July 7) at 7.25pm on ITV1.