Search This Blog

dinsdag 29 januari 2013

Joss Whedon "would love to" return to Firefly


Joss Whedon confesses he'd love to revisit the Firefly universe once The Avengers 2 is finished...

What's that noise, you say? Only the sound of a million Whedonites crossing their fingers in the hope that the Buffy and Firefly creator's latest pronouncement on a return to the space cowboy series doesn't turn out to be much ado about nothing.

Since Fox cancelled Firefly in 2002, the postscript to many a geek prayer and birthday candle wish has been a revival of Whedon's sci-fi western, and now the man himself has joined the chorus, reiterating his desire to, in his words, "get the old gang back together".

Speaking to the Toronto Sun, Whedon said "It's something I would love to do", continuing, "Part of me is like, 'God, it would be great when I finish Avengers 2 to do that'".

"When I made Serenity, I said here's one thing I'll never do again - a movie based on something that some people know about and some people don't, with tons of characters who all know each other and who you have to introduce. And then my second movie was The Avengers."

Referring to Firefly's cancellation, Whedon admitted, "I'll never really accept it. And I always, in the back of my head think, 'What if I could get the old gang back together?'".

However much we, or he, want that to happen, there's the small matter of his current slate to get out of the way. On top of The Avengers 2, Whedon is heading up in-development ABC series Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D., after which point, who knows? According to the writer/director, he'll be down-scaling after The Avengers sequel: "I suspect very strongly that after Avengers 2 the next thing I do will be a one-man show. Possibly one monkey."